Thursday, September 4, 2008

What I Believe

Republican VP pick Sarah Palin has spoken. Now it’s clear that on both sides there are young, charismatic newcomers and really old experienced white guys. We’re even. But are we? Now it’s time to figure out who supports what you believe.

What I believe…

I believe in choice. A woman should have the right to decide if she wants/needs to have an abortion.

I believe in gay rights, including marriage.

I believe in science, including Evolution, stem-cell research, sex education, and photo-synthesis.

I believe that torture is wrong, no matter who does it, or what border they fall behind.

I believe in Universal Healthcare.

I believe in the separation of Church and State.

I believe that we are all one people with the same rights, even if we are considered “illegal.”

I believe that a man who was born poor, raised by a single mother, and earned his way into Harvard is not an elite. But, you can’t make a rich daddy’s boy with bad grades who gets into Yale not elite just by putting a cowboy hat on him.

I believe that taxes should be used for social services, schools, and infrastructure- not war.

I believe people should get tax breaks, not corporations.

I believe that if you don’t know how many houses you have, it’s not surprising you think the economy is fine.

I believe if you really support the troops, you will not deploy them in unjust wars.

I believe that Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden are not the same guy.

I believe that fundamentalist Christians are just as scary as fundamentalist Muslims.

I believe that pandering to large corporations is strangling this country.

I believe in preserving the environment.

I believe we should not give up our civil liberties out of fear. I am not afraid. “Give me liberty or give me death!”

I believe that lies are getting us nowhere.

I believe that your vote counts the same as mine. Please don’t just listen to sound bites. Do your homework. Find the candidates that support what You believe.

No comments: